Tuesday, May 5, 2009

.....according to the X-files.

There was an interesting debate on XXLmag.com the other day about reality-based rap music. It was called "Rap Pinocchio". Which, is a hilarious title, because according to that story, not only would the majority of the industry be walking around like the illegitimate children of Steve Martin's character in "Roxanne", but eventually, they'd all become real people. No Dice. They're just folks who happen to get paid for what people do daily; convince us of some alternate universe. Or, at the very least, give an assessment of reality through their eyes.

People lie all the time. Some lie for sport (lawyers), some lie to make you feel good (doctors), some lie to keep the peace (police officers) & some do it because they think they have to (politicians) or don't know any better (teachers). Our parents lie(d) to us daily, though I try not to lie to my kids. Santa who? Fairy what? My least (or most, depending) favorite is "well, you may be a little better at something else", which I've had to unholster a few times. Point is that "truth" is an elusive creature; almost mythical. According to the X-files, it's out there, but not one of those episodes showed us where the hell it is. I even watched the movie; same results, Diceless. Instead of searching for it, why not just adapt.

Now for rap music, the argument is "keep it real" vs. "entertainment".

If we don't "keep it real", we're setting bad examples for the children & more impressionable youths of society......

I don't buy that. I refuse to blame any of my parental shortcomings on an entertainer. Rick Ross is no more of a role model to my children than Dwayne Johnson. I'm their role model, & rightfully so. That being said, I refuse to let my kids fall into the trap of believing what someone says or emulating what they do. If my kids decide to engage in less-than-productive activity, the last place I lay blame is their "entertainment". But, seeing as though I monitor it, I don't see that being a problem. I'm more worried about the kids they attend school with than say, Lil Kim or Soulja Boy Tell'em.

The entertainment value, on the other hand, is priceless. I enjoy a great audio movie. It gives me an opportunity to see & be a part of things I wouldn't otherwise be privy to. I'm not prejudice with my disbelief in the average person; I think the entire planet is full of shit. So, I would be very hard-pressed to think that [insert rapper] is giving me an autobiographical account of their life. Nor could I even care any less if they were.

Art is not life. It's the perception of what life could be under different circumstances. Take the Statue of Liberty. Whatever French dude who designed that surely has never seen a 100 foot tall woman, right? If he said he has, who's the bigger idiot? Him, or the guy that buys that bridge?

Most things in life MUST be taken at face value.

If any given situation (especially entertainment-wise) seems to require even the smallest amount of investigation, two things have happened. 1) You've undoubtedly begun to take it too seriously, & 2) you've forgotten that life is an illusion best performed by the one who's witnessing it.

Deep, huh?

Even a situation that's void of any sort of educational value holds the possibility to teach someone something. I'm not sure what though, perhaps I'm just being overly optimistic. I won't say I've never learned anything from rap music or the ilk, but it definitely wasn't long division or the mating habits of the wilderbeests. Which, is a coincidence in retrospect because I wasn't looking for a life lesson at that particular time anyway.

Rap music, to me, is escapism. The day I take it so serious as to make personal attachments to the message (or lack of one) is the day I refer to TMZ as my daily news. They can murder all the cats they want, & sell all the dope they feel the need to. It makes me no nevermind. In fact, I'm playing Rick Ross' latest album right now.

& I don't feel bad about it.

1 comment:

JCITYHUSTLA617 said...

YOU NAILED IT ON THE HEAD WHEN YOU SAID AUDIO MOVIES CUZ THATS WHAT RAP IS 2 ME I ZONE OUT AND LET THAT SHIT PLAY OUT IN MY MIND.....I DONT GET WHEN PPL GET MAD AT AN ARTIST WHEN THEY FIND OUT THEY ARE NOT WHAT THEY RAP ABOUT LIKE REALLY IF THEY DID ALL THIS STUFF THEY WOULD ALL B DEAD OR IN JAIL...WHY DO PPL DEMAND THAT RAPPERS LIVE THE LYRICS? THE LAST TIME ART IMITATED LIFE WE ENDED UP WITH 2 HIPHOP ARTIST IN THEIR PRIME SHOT DEAD BECAUSE THEY WANTED 2 GIVE US AUTHENTICY...........IS THIS WHAT YALL WANT?