Monday, March 30, 2009

(no) Dollar Dollar Bill(s) Yall

I just realized (a couple of weeks ago) that this "economic crisis" isn't really affecting me.

It's not that my scratch is long, or my dollar game is that heavy; it's actually the exact opposite. The saying goes "you don't miss what you never had" (or something like that), & unless I'm mistaken, there aren't any exceptions to that rule. With that said, there's never been a time in my life that I was especially burdened with skrilla. I think the most money I've ever actually physically touched, counted, smelled, had sex on, etc., at one time, was about $10,000. Technically speaking, that's not even enough to buy/drive a brand new whip off the lot. Maybe Hyundai/Daewoo "brand new", but not Honda/Toyota "brand new". & I was young, that money didn't make it past a month. It was that age where moolah, like sperm, was dished out in generous proportions with no regard to the possible outcome. I can still remember buying a beat-down '69 Volkswagen Bug with the last 900 bucks of that cash I had. Damn, I don't even have that car anymore. I wrapped it around some Hispanic dudes fender.

Memories.

So, in this, a time of financial chaos, I find a sense of comfort in my tax bracket. I wouldn't classify my status as "hand to mouth", but I'm not mad at AIG or that Madoff dude, either. It's kind of like the time when you were a kid & your dad/uncle/older brother knew a guy who was literally rich. Seeing his house, cars, & women gave you a feeling you didn't understand as a child, but later grew to realize that deeply-rooted "playa hatin'" is what you experienced. Upon further investigation (re: nosing), you came to see how hard his life was. Doing whatever it was he did to make that money, the maintenance of all his shiny things, the amount of his respective bills, the toll it took on his personal life, & in an odd turn of events you figured out that it sucks to be him. Lower-middle class didn't seem so bad. Plus, by that time, you grown accustomed to the 99 cent value menu. I know I sure did.

I was raised moderately middle class anyway, a "latch key kid", so the phrase "we can't afford it" became as leisurely as "it's unnecessary", subsequently my notion of the difference between needs & wants was formed at an early age. One year I asked my Dad where were our Christmas lights. He turned & looked at the living room lamp & said "You see those lights?" I nodded my head yes & he said "They're not free. Merry Christmas". Only now do I truly understand that he wasn't being a sarcastic jerk, but a hard working man who did the best he could for a couple of kids & a wife that he probably never intended on having in the first place.

Besides, it could always be worse. Which is a dichotomy of sorts because, think about it, your situation at some point is the "worse" somebody is using as their moment of clarity. Consider it the chain of misfortune; as surely as you're looking to your right at the guy with no shoes, the dude to your left is looking at your old winter coat. It would appear to be one of those times in life where complacency is a gift & a curse. Even still, at least I HAD shoes.

It's no wonder people are purposely working less hours & having more babies. What better way to stick it to the "man" than by playing the game according to the rules he introduced?

Tax return season just got a little more dangerous.

I've never been [close to] rich, & I seriously doubt that I'll ever be [anywhere near] rich. So be it. The social Gods have spoken.

No comments: